Dog treats are a great way to reward your dog for being good. Easy homemade dog treats can be the best option because they're inexpensive, healthy and heaps more fun than just giving your dog prepackaged foods! Making them for your doggo allows you to bond with your pet as you make them a homemade treat to indulge in, too.
A lot of homemade dog treat recipes require only four ingredients — almost everything you'll need for a basic dog treat can be found in your pantry at home. Our favourite recipes help provide some guidance on dog-food friendly things you may need, so don't worry about any danger to your pooch.
Pick a dog treat recipe that fits your pup and pantry and start cooking!
How to Make Dog Treats Homemade
During the pandemic, more pups were being adopted than ever before! It was also more difficult than ever to make a trip to the grocery store. Having a few homemade dog treat recipes on hand allows you to provide a special treat for your pup, even when you can’t make it to the store to buy more. And, you know your furry best friend only deserves the best.
Ingredients to Look for in Homemade Treats
Look for ingredients that are beneficial for your dog's health when selecting a recipe. Treats can be more than dessert--they can also provide them with protein for energy and spices that will help their bodies stand up during their senior years.Good Ingredients That Are Good for Your Dog Include:
- Peanut Butter (sugar-free)
- Pumpkin Puree
- Whole Wheat Flour
- Meat or Bone Broth
What Are the Benefits of Feeding Homemade Dog Treats?
You can target specific health concerns with your dog through homemade dog treats. If they suffer from arthritis, you can provide them with salmon made dog treats to target joint discomfort or turmeric to help boost their immune system and reduce inflammation  .
If your dog has an upset stomach or digestive issues, treats with yogurt and pumpkin puree can help their gut biome get back on track .
Pawpular Homemade Dog Treats Recipes
Making treats doesn’t need to be a pain. Find recipes that are fun, easy, and there are even no-bake options that can be tossed together and left in the fridge for a bit. Making treats allows you to please even the pickiest of pets and to experiment. This can help pet owners better understand what their dogs like and enjoy when it comes to different flavoured treats straight from the fridge.
1. Peanut Butter & Banana Dog Treats
Need dog biscuits? Just whip up a batch with this delicious homemade dog treats recipe. This recipe is filled with protein to help strengthen your dog's muscles. And it’s quick, easy, and sure to leave your pup rolling over and handing you a paw for more.Ingredients
- 255 ml old-fashioned oats (not quick-cooking)
- 1 banana
- 260 grams peanut butter
- 1 egg
- Preheat your oven to 176°C. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or Silpat, and set it aside.
- Add oats to the bowl of a food processor. Let them grind for 2 to 3 minutes until the oats are at a flour-like consistency with a few big pieces left.
- Add peanut butter, banana and an egg to the food processor.
- Mix until the dough looks uniform.
- Roll the dough out to roughly 2 to 4 mm thick.
- Cut treats out with your favourite cookie cutter and place on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 16 - 18 minutes, rotating trays halfway through.
2. Homemade Peanut Butter Dog Biscuits
These treats are more ingredient-heavy but definitely worthwhile! They are packed with natural peanut butter flavour that dogs love. They contain oats, flaxseed oil and honey which provide essential nutrients such as calcium, vitamin E and dietary fibre in every bite . Turmeric is a great anti-inflammatory for your pooch. They're also sweetened only with brown sugar so there's no need for artificial ingredients.Ingredients
- 180 ml Hot Water
- 5 ml Beef or Chicken Bouillon Powder
- 325 g Wheat Flour
- 30 ml Brown Sugar , optional
- 55 g Ground Flax Seed
- 15 ml Turmeric
- 130 g Peanut Butter
- 1 Egg
- Preheat the oven to 176°C.
- Line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
- Dissolve the bouillon in the hot water.
- Combine the flour, brown sugar, ground flax, and turmeric in a mixer bowl.
- Using a dough hook, mix in hot water mixture, peanut butter and egg.
- Continue mixing until the dough ball is smooth.
- Roll the dough out to a little less than 1/2" thick.
- Cut into desired dog biscuit shapes.
- Bake for about 35-40 minutes or until the biscuits feel dried and fairly firm.
3. Frozen Dog Treats with Peanut Butter and Banana
Dogs and their owners go bananas over this dog treat recipe! Why? These treats are chock-full of protein and probiotics that are beneficial to your pup. This calcium-rich treat is sure to become part of your regular treat rotation.
- 1 banana
- 129 g Peanut Butter, no salt or sugar
- 122 g Plain, Unsweetened Yogurt
- 117 g Bone Broth (chicken stock or beef stock)
- 15 ml Ground Flax Meal
Instructions So Simple, Your Dog Could Make These
- Mash banana in a bowl with a fork or with a mixer.
- Combine with yogurt and mix well.
- Add in the rest of your ingredients - peanut butter, bone broth, and flax meal.
- Pour into your moulds and freeze for 2 to 4 hours.
4. Pumpkin, Peanut Butter, and Applesauce Dog Treat
Homemade dog treats without flour can be difficult to come by. So, if you’re looking for something quick and easy, then try the dog cookie recipe below — it's so simple that even kids can help you make them! Dogs could, too, if only they had thumbs.Ingredients
- 125 g pumpkin puree
- 125 g applesauce
- 65 g peanut butter
- 60 g plain yogurt
- 1 strip bacon cooked and crumbled 
- 200 g old fashioned oats
- In a large bowl, stir together wet ingredients.
- Then add in bacon and oats.
- Use a cookie scoop to form into uniform treats.
- Store in the fridge or freezer until your pup gets a treat!
5. Fishy & Fantastic Dog Treats
Fishing for something new? Give this recipe a shot! It’s made with salmon. It’s a great source of omega fatty acids for your furever family member.
- 397 g Salmon (1 can)
- 198 g Tuna in Water (1 small can)
- 4 Eggs (beaten)
- 250 g Flour (whole wheat)
Swimmingly Simple Instructions
- Preheat the oven to 176°C.
- Combine the salmon and tuna in a mixing bowl. You won’t need to drain the tuna!
- Add the scrambled eggs followed by the flour.
- Stir well to thoroughly combine.
- Spread evenly in a lightly greased baking pan.
- Bake for 40 minutes and cool before cutting.
- Cut into 30 mm squares and divide into 5 bags.
The Best Recipes for the Best Dog Treats
We think you will agree that your dog deserves only the best. These healthy, tasty, and fun recipes are the best way to home cook your dog’s biscuits and treats. We hope you and your best fuzzy friend enjoy some flavourful fun baking together.
At Petzyo, we want your pooch to have the best that they can--even homemade dog treats. Better food means a better quality of life for your dog and more energy to enjoy all the fun the world around has to offer. We don’t want you to miss out on a second of those dog-snuggles. Treat your pooch to treats that they’ll be drooling over.